Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Interview with Jillian Hopper

Lena Oren interviewed choreographer Jillian Hopper, a former MFA student at the University of Michigan,  who created a work on the Freshman Touring Company in January. Jillian choreographed the piece on all fourteen company members and we were all so excited to work with her.  Here are the questions asked in the interview.

Q: What is the name of the piece?

 A: I've Been Out

 Q: Who is the Composer?

 A:Prosthetic Hands [Producers Joshua Harrison, Keith Kemp]

 Q: What is the concept behind the dance?

 A: An exploration of being in and out of sync with yourself and your surroundings. It's about conformity. Initial inspiration: I had this initial idea about wanting to make a work that explored how I learn/have learned things the hard way most of my life. How could I do that through movement without any overt emotional expression in a group work? I didn't want it to become cathartic but more universal. As the work developed I realized that we as human beings all feel like an outsider at one point or another, usually when having just learned a lesson the hard way, and I went from there.

 Q: Can you tell me a little bit about your collaboration with the composer?

 A: This particular collaboration was pretty easy. My composer is also my husband and we are used to working together but we had thought to make the music for the work come from the movement. After filming the rehearsals, Joshua watched the footage and was reminded of a piece he composed with his fellow Prosthetic Hands producer Keith Kemp last year. He played the music while watching the rehearsal footage. It fit so well, we decided to keep it.

 Q: What were some of your fondest memories at the University of Michigan?

 A: All of it. The stress, the tears, the pressure, the dancing, the joy of accomplishing something on a regular basis. Being engaged physically and intellectually everyday with people who are now solid fixtures in my life. It was all pretty amazing.

 Q: What was your MFA show like?

 A: My MFA show was a site specific dance at the Ross School of Business. The work was filled with poetry, dance, film, and live music. I created all of it including the script for the sound score which Joshua and three jazz musicians brought to life. It felt exciting at the time and the memories are still exciting to me. 

Q: Do you prefer performing or choreographing? Or visa versa?

 A: Prior to my MFA I would have said that performing was more gratifying. However, I don't think that's the case anymore. They are of equal importance to me. I feel passionate about both for different reasons and in different ways. I feel that my career as a choreographer is only just beginning and as my body matures (that sounds better than my body getting old) I am discovering how it looks and feels different in performance. My choreography and performing feed each other.

 Q: What have you been up to since graduating?

 A: Since graduation I have been teaching ballet and contemporary and choreographing small works for UMich and for some dance studios near detroit. I've also been planning the launch of my dance company called Jillian Hopper Dances which should premiere in April this year.

 Q: Do you have any advice for budding choreographers and dancers?

 A: Don't give up or compromise when things get tough. Find creative ways through things and be spiritually/emotionally open with yourselves and those around you. Be present!






Photograph by Jeff Pearson Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment