Monday, March 25, 2013

Interview with Sandra Torijano

The Freshman Touring Dance Company was very lucky to have one of the University of Michigan's very own faculty, Sandra Torijano, choreograph a new work on us. In addition to creating this new work, she recently choreographed for "Translation," the Department of Dance's main show in February, in which she had a duet. This duet is featured in the new piece, but has been recast and is now danced by company members Jeffrey Noble and Kiri Chapman. Irene Vandenburg sat with Sandra during Freshman Composition class and was able to ask her many questions to get a better idea about Sandra as a choreographer as well as the piece she has created for us! 

Q: What is the name of the piece?

A: A Un Giro Sol

Q: How did you choose the music for this piece? Where did the inspiration come from?

A: I did a lot of research first, considering there was going to be 3 sections in the piece. I wanted the music to make sense with the abstractness of the image of the sunflower. I looked for something Italian, round, and completed. It took me a year to come up with an idea for the piece. At the previous Power Center I began thinking and making plans A, B, and C. There had to be music for four sections and it had to follow the tune of the last note. "Aria" matches the movement of the dancers. The music is sophisticated. I wanted to allow the dancers a chance for their bodies to really move. I deleted out other music options and settled with four sections of love, humanity, spirit, and strength. The music gave these sections texture. 

Q: When you choreograph, do you usually collaborate with the dancers or stick to your own ideas? Why?

A: Sometimes I like to see the potential of the other dancers....allowing them to put the movement in their own bodies and ask them to challenge it more and facilitate collaboration. 90% of the choreography is mine. Improvisation from the dancers sometimes looks too different and could confuse the audience. 

Q: What has been your favorite part of choreographing for the FTC class of 2013?

Sandra Torijano
A: The beautiful, beautiful souls. The dancers are eager to learn, and the maturity makes me want more hours and time with them. I have been able to learn about the dancers aside from technique. They have joy, they are open, they are happy to receive and learn, support their peers, and respect me. What I receive makes me want to shine for them.

Q: What is your favorite part about teaching within the University of Michigan community?

A: Many things. The students and colleagues appreciate my culture and what I bring from my Latina background is welcomed. I am able to expose ideas and names of artists the students may not know. Everyone receives me in a good way. I feel a Latin American mission of myself which is unique to me and I love sharing these differences. I am happy and thankful. Also, the level of the students and teachers offer a challenge which pushes me to grow. I LOVE THE STUDENTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment